Update (13 Jul 2016): iplayedthegame has suggested a great commandment in the comments, I am adding it to my original list. There are now 11 commandments.
- Thou shalt not rage quit.
- Thou shalt accept the fact that idiotic pub teammates will always exist.
- Thou shalt accept the fact that not everyone has the skills of an MLG player, nor the combat intelligence of Fatal1ty. Not everyone has played Quake or Unreal Tournament.
- Thou shalt try thy very best not to lose one’s temper all the time. Save one’s rage for when it really matters.
- Thou shalt play to the best of thy ability, even if thy hopeless teammates will result in a loss.
- In Overwatch, thou shalt understand the importance of switching characters when necessary.
- In team shooters, thou shalt focus on completing thy team objectives. This means pushing the payload in Overwatch, capturing control points in Destiny, etc.
- Thou shalt not worry about thy KDR. It is meaningless in team shooters, especially Overwatch.
- Thou shalt attempt to have fun in the end, even in the face of overwhelming defeat, saltiness, and stupid teammates.
- Lick my face.
- Ryuu ga waga teki go fuck yourself.
The Destiny community has been riled up in the last 24 hours by this Kotaku report. Apparently the game’s original story was rebooted almost one year before its September 2014 release.
Anyone who has played the original, vanilla Destiny will universally agree on one consensus: the story was terrible. The dialogue was unintentionally hilarious. The game’s missions felt repetitive with no coherent structure tying them together.
Now we finally know why this happened. When you make last minute changes to the script and go against the original writer’s wishes, the story will inevitably suffer.
One can’t help but wonder whether the originally planned story would actually have been better or worse than the final release, and whether Bungie’s panicked intervention was justified.
As someone who studied how to write and now writes for a living, I can totally sympathise with Joe Staten, the original project lead for Destiny who penned the game’s original story. The hard work of writers is always being disrespected and butchered.
This article was originally posted on No Game No Talk. I am reposting it on my blog for visibility and to make it easier for my followers to share comments.
Games like Half-Life and BioShock have spoiled the FPS genre too much. Sometimes, all we want to do is shoot stuff.